Monday 21 April 2014

Getting by when your luggage is delayed

When I arrived in Singapore at 9pm, I was told my luggage was still in Dubai and I could expect it delivered to my hotel the by 2pm the next day. I slept in the same clothes, had nothing to wash my face or brush my teeth with, no deodorant to use, and went out the next day looking awful - 36 hours in the same outfit and 18 of those hours on a plane doesn't not make anyone look/smell good. It wasn't my greatest moment. In hindsight, here is what to do:

Ask for clarification on reimbursement of expenses. We were sure we could have done this but having no towel or clean clothes rendered the idea of buying shampoo and shower gel redundant for us.

Claim on your travel insurance as soon as you can. I did this straight away but all this happened on Good Friday so my email won't be seen until the following Tuesday, and if I'm told I should have done something differently, it's too late. 

Be optimistic. It's not the worst thing and I actually coped quite well. We laughed it off mostly ("it could only happen to me"), it wasn't ideal but the bags arrived in the end. That shower, when you finally get it, is HEAVEN.

Pack your hand luggage for times of crisis. Once I got my bag, rejoiced and had my shower, I set about reorganising my hand luggage. My deodorant, sun cream and toothpaste replaced some books and trivia games that were clogging up my hand luggage. 

What would you do? Do you think you would have been able to cope?

x

No comments:

Post a Comment